All mixed up addresses the AC Science Understanding ACSSU031 Different materials can be combined for a particular purpose, in the context of inquiring about mixtures.
This unit was updated in July 2021 to include more accurate advice about food allergies and anaphylaxis.
All mixed up provides students with hands-on opportunities to:
- explore and create mixtures of solids, mixtures of solids and liquids, and mixtures of liquids
- identify different everyday mixtures found in the school and home
- explain the benefits and purposes of particular mixtures
Students apply their new learning by:
- planning and conducting an investigation about how to separate a mixture of solids
- planning and conducting an investigation about what different black inks are made of
Linking science with literacy
In the Primary Connections approach, students are supported to create representations that draw on and strengthen their literacy development. In All mixed up, students represent and explain their understanding about how different materials can be combined for a particular purpose, by creating these representations:
- Ideas map
- Data table
- Annotated drawing
- Procedural text
- Word wall