Circuits and switches addresses AC Science Understanding ACSSU097 Electrical energy can be transferred and transformed in electrical circuits and can be generated from a range of sources, through the context of simple electrical circuits and their components.
Circuits and switches provides students with hands-on opportunities to:
- construct and represent simple circuits
- investigate how changing the components of a simple circuits affects how it works
- explore different sources of energy that may generate electricity
- examine the role of switches in a simple circuit
Students apply their new learning by:
- planning and conducting an investigation into the function of the components of a simple circuit and designing, making and evaluating a circuit that transforms energy from one form to another
Linking science with literacy
In the Primary Connections approach, students are supported to create representations that draw on and strengthen their literacy development. In Circuits and switches, students represent and explain their understanding about how electrical energy can be transferred and transformed in electrical circuits and can be generated from a range of sources, by creating these representations:
- Annotated diagram
- Circuit diagram
- Cutaway diagram
- Factual text
- Ideas map
- Procedural text
- TWLH chart
- Word wall
Comprehensive information on how batteries work, the history of batteries, battery care and how flashlights work.
An Interactive E-Learning Website designed to extend the knowledge and understanding of electricity and electric circuits of 7 - 11 yr olds.
An interactive flash game for up to five players including information, a hands-on exploration task and a quiz for different aspects of electricity and circuits.
Provides flexible, easy-to-use modelling software for schools and colleges.