Growing well addresses AC Science Understanding ACSSU002 Living things have basic needs, including food and water, through the context of growing plants.
Growing well provides students with hands-on opportunities to:
- investigate the basic needs for survival of common flowering plants
- explore what happens to plants when their needs are not met
- observe leaves, stems, and roots of plants
- explore how plants use water
Students apply their new learning by:
- conducting a survey and collecting evidence to compare plant needs to animals needs
Linking science with literacy
In the Primary Connections approach, students are supported to create representations that draw on and strengthen their literacy development.
In Growing well, students represent and explain their understanding about the basic needs of living things, by creating these representations:
- Annotated drawing
- Data table
- Word wall