That’s my hat addresses the AC Science Understanding ACSSU003 Objects are made of materials that have observable properties, in the context of investigating the properties of the materials used for protective clothing.
That’s my hat provides students with hands-on opportunities to:
- sort and test the observable properties of a variety of different materials
- explore water resistant materials
- identify transparent materials
- predict and explain whether materials are suitable for wearing in the sun or rain
Students apply their new learning by:
- designing and making a party hat, taking into account the weather conditions it might be worn in
Linking science with literacy
In the Primary Connections approach, students are supported to create representations that draw on and strengthen their literacy development.
In That’s my hat, students represent and explain their understanding about how objects are made of materials that have observable properties, by creating these representations:
- Annotated drawing
- Sorting diagram
- Data table
- Word wall