What’s it made of? addresses the AC Science Understanding ACSSU003 Objects are made of materials that have observable properties, in the context of examining the materials used to make objects found in the school environment.
What’s it made of? provides students with hands-on opportunities to:
- develop skills of observing, describing, comparing and communicating
- explore what things are made of in the school environment
- describe the properties of the materials used to make objects found at school
Students apply their new learning by:
- planning and conducting an investigation of materials for water resistance
- using data from the investigation to make a water-resistant outdoor object for the school environment
Linking science with literacy
In the Primary Connections approach, students are supported to create representations that draw on and strengthen their literacy development.
In What’s it made of?, students represent and explain their understanding about how objects are made of materials that have observable properties, by creating these representations:
- Picture map
- Data table
- Word wall